Monday, August 29, 2005

USATODAY.com - C-section practice threatens patient's rights

USATODAY.com - C-section practice threatens patient's rights: "These bans violate a wide body of legal and ethical guidelines dictating that health care providers must respect the right of any patient to decline a medical procedure. If doctors did carry through their threats to perform surgery in spite of a mother's refusal, then they'd be subject to criminal assault and battery charges.

It's important for women to understand that they have the legal right to be informed of the risks, benefits and alternatives of any proposed treatment, including C-sections, and that hospitals that neglect to perform this duty violate the federal Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act.

In addition, when hospitals and doctors claim that they can't 'allow' VBACs because of the fear of lawsuits, they're not being entirely honest with their patients. If a patient absolutely refuses a C-section and this refusal is documented, I believe it is unlikely that doctors would be held liable for not performing one."

Katherine Prown, Ph.D., Fox Point, Wis.
BirthPolicy.org

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi slcochran I’ve been looking for good will related blogs and I came across yours on USATODAY.com - C-section practice threatens patient's rights during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. You are most welcome to come and visit me at good will. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy.

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this blog certainly is not about amarillo tx low cost health insurance . What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching amarillo tx low cost health insurance and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from amarillo tx low cost health insurance anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching amarillo tx low cost health insurance .
Even though my search is not on USATODAY.com - C-section practice threatens patient's rights I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home